September 12, 2010

Viva paper towels and sausage links

Yesterday I was thinking about Viva paper towels and sausage links. Or more accurately sausage links wrapped in viva paper towels. Crazy I know. The reason I was thinking about this was my Grandma would order an extra side of sausage links and then wrap them in her paper towel to take home. I always miss and think about my Grandma B. but this time of year is especially difficult. Tomorrow would have been her birthday. I wanted to write down a few things that remind me of one of the strongest women I was lucky enough to know and love!
  • ked shoes
  • Flathead lake
  • 5th wheels
  • Cheese ball puffs
  • circus peanuts (the candy)
  • RC cola
  • Talk shows
  • Game Show Network
  • Yard ornaments (particularly burros)
  • Native American dolls
  • crochet blankets
  • romance novels
  • 8-tracks (I always wondered about her fat tapes in the Pontiac)
  • Sweet peas
  • Bright, tacky t-shirts
  • any holiday decoration that sings/dances
  • Halloween cupcakes
  • Big Christmas trees
  • Bon-bons
  • Turkey and mayo sandwiches
  • long fingernails
  • sitting on the couch with your legs tucked underneath
  • wordfinds/crosswords
  • puzzles
  • swap meets

So many more things that I had to stop (I actually can barely see the screen because of the tears).

My Grandma was such a strong, unselfish woman. I have so many wonderful memories from the time I was very little. I spent much of my summer camping with them and countless nights at their house for sleepovers. I know that she is in a better place but I still miss her! I fell blessed that I am her oldest grandchild. I knew her as a child and I also knew her as an adult. She was able to meet and hold 2 of my boys. I wish she could have met the other 2 and all of the other great-grandchildren yet to come (from the other grandkids....we are done :) ).

Thanks to her I have learned to love unconditionally, to care for my family no matter what. I have also learned to do things for myself to make me happy. Grandma you are always in my heart and I miss you!

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for your wonderful post....grandma loved to wrap food up and stick in her coat pocket for later :) she would carry paper towels and even ziplocs in her pockets ( a memory forever cataloged in my brain). I miss her too, love her forever and am grateful for all she taught us...most of it was by example.
    ~Aunt Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't forget "judge judy" TV shows :) and her tomato BBQ sauce she'd make up at the camper, and domino's, and her driving with her left foot for the brake and the right foot for the gas petal. I loved when she'd pick me up from school and we'd just go to her house for the day/sleepovers. Those were awesome. Didn't she make you black colored crocheted slippers? And she was mad that you chose black b/c it's the hardest to count your crochet loops? AND her rolls for christmas day and christmas eve's at Grandma and Grandpa's. She went way too fast without any warning. She is always missed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make her BBQ pork chops a few times a year! I loved her homeade noodles. I loved the chaos of Christmas Eve at their house. The HUGE TV well before everyone had them. Towels covering the couch. Her letting me fold the washcloths and telling me what a good job I did. The junk cuboard that you could eat anything out of. Lights that clap on/off. Getting to watch TV as late as I wanted when I slept over. The green game that had those white shapes that you had to fit together. Smurfs. Great...I'm crying again!

    ReplyDelete