July 29, 2010

BBQ Day

Before I start on today I would like to say we saw the Clint Cannon of truck drivers last night. We pulled into a truck stop and a trucker had a small charcoal grill on a little strip of grass and was grilling himself some dinner. If Clint was a truck driver I'm sure he would figure out someway to be able to smoke himself a brisket for dinner.

While we were in Kentucky this morning there was a very redneck vehicle. It was an older Chevy Blazer that had a window unit air conditioner (for a house) sticking out the back window. I took a picture and I will post it later.

Today we got up and headed out. Our final destination is Atlanta. We are going a few hundred miles out of our way to have BBQ in Alabama - Big Bob Gibson's BBQ to be exact. Clint has his cookbook and has made a few of his sauces and has since changed them (improved them). This restaurant has won tons of awards and is often on Food Network and other BBQ challenges. We drove to Decatur Alabama to try it for ourselves. It was good but I think that Clint's is better. I could spend a great deal of time writing about the bark on the brisket (or lack of), the temperature at which the meat was probably cooked to etc. all of these are topics we discussed during our lunch. It was good. I'm glad we went. We had a good lunch, got a few t-shirts and I am again convinced that Clint's BBQ is defiantly a marketable business.

I am so glad that my mom came with us. Not only has she been an amazing help she is good for some comic relief. She was very excited today because she finally found out where she was. Even exclaiming "now I know where I'm at". She was messing with her phone and got the navigator loaded. She would say "We are right by the water" Clint and I could see we were right by the water. She lost her phone somewhere in the Excursion I'm concerned she may be lost soon as well. (As I'm reading this aloud she is hitting me on the head, she is laughing so hard and saying "it hurts" and "oww", and some "memememe", but don't worry Clint is helping her figure out where she is he is saying "now we are by trees".)

We just crossed into Georgia. We will be in Atlanta soon (I hope). Tonight we are staying with Clint's cousin Lisa and her family. Tomorrow we are all going to the Zoo. I'm sure it will be hot but a lot of fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment