January 26, 2011

It's the right thing to do

So I need to rant and I thought this would be the perfect place to do it! I have good kids (I'm not ranting about this part). We set rules and are consistent and we think it is our job to parent. It is our job to lay the foundation of what is right and wrong. What is expected of our children. Yes it is hard work and yes sometimes it sucks. It's the right thing to do.

At wrestling practice the other day I was busy helping wedge E.T.'s foot into his shoe (why are wrestling shoes so small?) and I overheard a mother telling her son that he can't go to practice until the coach comes up to talk to her (her son is 4ish). My incredible hearing skills could not help but overhear the conversation that took place with this mom and the coach. HER son was wrestling a small, younger child and had pinned this child and wouldn't get up. This happened at home not at wrestling practice. She wanted the coach to punish the child today by having him only watch practice and have a talk to him. This mother told the coach that her son needed to learn when it was appropriate to wrestle etc.

(My heart is pounding through my chest right now just remember the conversation. It actually went on for quite a bit longer with the mom telling the coach what he should tell her son but I had to stop for fear of stroking out right here at the computer and I haven't set my kids clothes out for school yet.)

At the end of practice this mom was talking to another mom about the "incident" and how the coach needed to "step in". She also talked about how he didn't have a father figure so no one was there to tell him what was appropriate.

I wanted to jump up and down raising my hand. Oooohhhh pick me, pick me, I know the answer to your problem - "Parent your kid!!!".

It doesn't matter if there are 1, 2 or 12 parents in your home. It is your responsiblity to parent your kids "it is the right thing to do".

No comments:

Post a Comment